Ethical Issue Scholarly Paper
Purpose of Assignment
1. To present a balanced view of an ethical issue; to clearly articulate both sides of an ethical issue;
2. To identify an ethical framework, model, theory, or set of principles and describe its application to an ethical issue.
• Choose an ethical issue in health care and/or nursing. State why this issue is of importance to society.
• Clearly state your evidence-based position as a nurse on this issue. Identify the values (personal, professional, and/or institutional) underpinning your position.
• Clearly state at least one other position (or “side”) to this issue. This position also needs to be grounded in the evidence. Speculate as to the values (personal, professional, and/or institutional) underpinning this opposing position.
• Include a discussion describing the use of an ethical framework, model, theory, or the ethical principles to support your position on this issue.
• Conclude with a brief summary as to why you believe your position is the best position on this issue.
• Paper should be eight to ten pages in length, excluding the title page and references list.
Content of Paper (70%)
• Each element of the assignment guidelines is addressed.
• Paper integrates material from the textbook, course references and/or other scholarly sources including at least four peer-reviewed journals.
• Critical inquiry, analysis, and synthesis are evident.
Scholarly Format of Paper (30%)
• The paper:
o is clearly written;
o is within page limit;
o contains accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
o adheres to APA (7th edition) format.
Helpful Hints for Getting Started:
• When choosing an issue, look for one that is currently being debated. Consider what you have heard, seen or read online, on the TV news, in newspapers, and at your workplace.
• For a review of course content related to values (personal, professional, and/or institutional) refer to Unit 3: Values Clarification and Development.
• For a review of course content related to ethical frameworks, models, theories, or the ethical principles, refer to Unit 6: Ethical Theories in Nursing.